A recent research study on the barriers on market adoption of home automation (only available in Dutch) gives 5 recommendations to improve the implementation of home automation.
- Home automation can connect technological and organizational developments by facilitating social innovations (ex. neighborhood services) on an ICT platform.
- The needs of the end-user have to be taken into consideration when developing and implementing a home automation platform because the end-user will finally determine the value of the offered services.
- Home automation platforms will only be achievable when standards are used and systems are integrated in a reliable way.
- The price has a strong influence on the behavior of users so the costs must be acceptable.
- The government can influence strongly the implementation of home automation by
- market regulation,
- the use of standards,
- by securing privacy,
- by subsidizing pilot projects or initial investing costs.