Home automation or, more accurately, integrated home and living automation* is an integrated system that commands and controls all electrical devices in the home aiming at increasing and improving the comfort, flexibility, communication, security, rational energy consumption and care components.
Building automation is the integrated system that controls all electrical devices in a building.
The following characteristics are intended with the concept of building automation/intelligent building:
- flexibility: The premises must be adapted at all times to the work environment.
- profitability: The adaptation and operating costs of the building must be reduced.
- productivity: Increase the user’s productivity through better communication and quicker adaptation of the work environment.
- safety: The safety of the users as well as the safety of the property will be improved. Property refers here to the building itself, the work instrument and the maintenance of the activities.
* Integrated home and building automation design guide. This guide was published by the organisations VEI, In-Ham, BCDI and NAV with the support of IWT.